Friday, February 18, 2005

keywords, keyword content, content writing, keyw

Maybe you get the message.
I didn't.
In the interest of researching a job lead for a "Keyword/Content Copywriter" I quickly found myself up to my nares in marketing blogs, how-tos for content "that sells", and articles about how the right keywords in your web copy add up to SEO.

Yes, SEO. Search Engine Optimization.
Wow.

I thought I was a decent writer.
Feeling this big and ignorant. Where the hell have I been, anyway?
"Watch Newbie Tech/Content Writer Blunder"-- my headline for today.

At this moment I have a line of orange Post-It notes with pencilled links to blogs (with no RSS feeds, fyi), freelance outsourcing sites, web content tutorials, and I'm not done yet. I have a headache, but nothing a Corona Light and a fresh lime wedge can't cure. These Post-It notes are the little guys. A caterpillar-like configuration of them is lined up along the desktop in front of me. And a cat is lying across the head of it.

I'm unemployed again. I just came to the end of a short-lived contract with a marketing firm for whom I researched and wrote original articles/copy on subjects ranging from debt consolidation to erectile dysfunction and travelling in Italy. The articles were destined for informational websites somewhere. Now I'm second-guessing every word I wrote for this firm. omigod, did I competely screw myself?

Anyway. (Shovelling my angst out of the way.)

I am at the bottom of the food chain and not comfortable with that position. And there are a hell of a lot of freelance writers who are bidding for work. Some of them run significant companies that specialize in all forms of web development work including the copy and the design.

This is where I begin to try and compete.
I am like an amoeba today. Let's evolve.