Friday, February 25, 2005

Traffic and Links! Traffic and Links!

It's like Chicken-Little's "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" franticity. Frantic + ity...
I do feel a bit frantic over the whole rub. I admit it.

Link popularity is a main topic in search engine optimization and web content writing. Bloggers know, too well, the requirements for link popularity as a means to be indexed in a search engine like Google. (I'm actually sick of typing and hearing about Google. Businesses love it and like wallflowers at a high school dance desperately hold hopes they will be noticed. But I have learned that there are so many OTHER search engines and search directories that can be of benefit to websites trying to stir up traffic. This topic, maybe next week....)

When I include links in my text, they are considered outbound links. They have nothing to do with me or anything to do with getting this site noticed. I put them there as access to other people's information and opinion. What bloggers and all websites, actually desire are inbound links. Inbound links are now understood to be one of the most effective means by which websites and blogsites establish a good page ranking, especially with Google. And what might you imagine that translates into? The business of link building.

There are a number of ways I can pursue getting inbound links. I can look for other sites in my area of interest and ask their webdeveloper to include my link on their site in exchange for their's on mine. I would be hoping they would agree and that they are a reputable and, even better, popular, site.

I can become a member of a link exchange, however the jury still seems to be out on the effectiveness of this method and how the practice is regarded in the industry at this time. I keep reading over and over about the importance of being choosy in who I link to and, in turn, request link exchanges with. It's a little like dating.....isn't it?

I discovered early on, though, that the most coveted brand of inbound link is one I don't ask for. My goal would be for a well-established, well-ranked site to have a link to mine. Google's search engine loves that, apparently. This is what all the hub-bub is about and why link building can give online businesses and websites an edge with their competition and spell big revenue for their companies.

SEO Papers, www.seopapers.com, is a virtual storehouse of articles on search engine optimization, including many on the topic of link building.

Also, here's a good article by Mario Sanchez on "Link Building and Pagerank," http://www.accordmarketing.com/tid/archive/link-building-and-pagerank.html