Sunday, May 15, 2005

Test driving Uncover The Net's Search Directory

I do a lot of research for my copywriting articles and I am constantly looking for a better strategy of search than Google. While Google has been my search engine of choice I also am acutely aware of the reasons that sites end up in the top ranks -- content and information that's often been manipulated to the top of "the charts."

I just took a few minutes to test-drive Uncover The Net's search directory-- as they say "powered by human, not machines"-- with a simple "writing web content" query aimed at the entire web. What was returned was their typical Sponsored Results at the top of the page and then a purported 12,000+ other finds. I scanned through the 10 results pages the directory had and came up with the same half dozen or so sites over and over from page to page. By the 10th page, the results had only managed to include no more than a dozen websites that either sold web content writing services, or offered insight and advice on the same. A pretty tiny slice of the whole enchilada.