Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Slippery Slope


no content, I mean "comment" Posted by Hello

I'm a bit confused. What is this? I'm not going to type the name, either, it smarts too much, from a real human copywriter's vantage point.
I'm actually even embarrassed to admit how I found it. Curiously I was attracted to an adSense ad and HAD to see what the headline was leading to.
Yep, I was right.
This software actually suggests that it can produce "hundreds" of pages of "understandable" content in a workday's time. Great for webmasters and writers, "they" say.
A real writer would like this? Really?
I had the chance to read a little sample blurb produced by this bot-writing software. They can sue me I don't care. I'm apparently inconsequential anyway.
The copy read alright, actually, except that every few sentences a word would just jut right out in the way of smooth reading. An odd word, one that just doesn't fit, like the software synonym dictionary shot out something it just couldn't hear the cadence of.

I am fascinated with the internet and how the search engines work, but there is an awful lot of emphasis on the marketing and selling and production of things. And ironically that push for just mush is keeping others developing technology such as vertical search and topic-focused quality content that most people say they are really looking for on the internet.

As I said, I'm confused...if the ultimate drive is quality, then why the daily rush for quantity?