Thursday, March 03, 2005

"32 Flavors"--Alternative Search Engines

Continuing in my theme this week of song lyrics-- this one from Ani DiFranco, "32 Flavors." I've been waiting for the time to explore search engine alternatives to Google and Yahoo!. Many provide a form for manual submission of web URLs. I will only subscribe, at this point, to those that offer the service for free. But I expect to comment on others, regardless. There are literally lists and lists of search engines. So I've just started exploring a few of the smaller ones that I had mentioned in an earlier posting.

MIXCAT
www.mixcat.com
I just manually submitted my URL to both Mixcat and Surfgopher. Mixcat does not guarantee that my site will actually be added to their directory. Ok.... Mixcat's site is a bit confusing. Not sure what they are really marketing-- web hosting, web design, subscriptions for multi-search engine submissions, or search directory. Not sure.

SURFGOPHER
www.surfgopher.com
Surfgopher confirmed that my URL would actually be added to their directory.

SCRUB THE WEB
www.scrubtheweb.com
I have not submitted my URL to Scrub the Web, yet, but the service is free. However, they provide a number of nifty and free tools. They advise making certain that my site's meta tags are cleanly and efficiently designed and since I am not sure they are at this particular point, I will hold off on submitting with them until next week when I have more time to devote to my meta tags. Also, they will provide free meta tag suggestions for me, I just have to become a member which doesn't cost anything. Once, again, not enough time, but I have bookmarked this site for next week.

All in the name of search engine visibility and hopes of some kind of page rank. I'll be continuing on with this, but right now I'm goin' fishin'.