Thursday, June 16, 2005

Beginning Chemistry

I really know very little about chemistry. I fainted in 9th grade chem class giving an oral report in front of the class. Yes--"most embarrassing moment" kind of stuff. However, where the "chemistry" comes in is my attempt to make an analogy to the basics of search engines and search optimization that yields a type of compound, something more advanced, a combination of basic elements and materials.

I set out, originally, to explore just such topics, in their basic form, and I am currently madly dug into learning all I can about link building and pay per click. But in the process, I realized I have forgotten my initial goal. I am overwhelmed with SEO "code words" that are cryptic to me because no one takes the time out from their white paper-style guide books and articles to make a brief little aside for the less educated.

Whelmed is more like it. Not over.
So for the whelmed-- like me-- a few insights into the secret code words of the SEO gurus. (I love that word- guru--).

Anchor Text-- this is a biggie in the realm of link relationships. Link building. Anchor text, for anyone who knows even basic HTML, are the words one sees on the webpage that lead, via hyperlink, to a destination site. The actual link information--where the site is located-- is loaded into the HTML script. The anchor text, when optimally optimized, utilizes important keywords that figure mightily into the destination website's link popularity. I'll leave it at that.

For instance-- my blogsite. The actual link is what you see in the Adress field of your browser. Not very descriptive, or helpful, if I were optimizing. But if someone were to link to me, it would be so grand if they could replace the boring technicals of the link, itself, and instead give me some anchor text in the hyperlink the likes of "search engine and web content basics."

Web Conversion-- I mean, what IS this? We see this phrase a lot and I would venture to suggest that most people really don't have the foggiest. Web conversion exists when you have actually managed to sell someone on your website. When they visit they not only hang out a bit, but they might sign up for your newsletter, email a comment or, even better, buy your product or service. It's a good thing.

Click Through Ratio-- Wow. Huh? This one I decided to search for thusly: in Google's search field I typed-- click through ratio explained. I found a number of tidy sites that defined the phrase. Web marketing is huge business, so in the world of pay-per-click marketing click through ratio is an important metric. It denotes a percentage figure which is arrived at through a ratio of number of ad "impressions,"-- these are the actual little ads that exist online-- to actual number of clicks on such an impression. I believe I was reading a percentage of 1-2% is common for a click through ratio.

End of SEO secret code words for the day.