Sunday, June 26, 2005

Where Have All the Good Writers Gone?

Where have all the good writers gone?

I actually posted a rather self-serving rant yesterday-- subsequently deleted it, once its therapeutic effects wore off-- about the fact that I have a writer who is under contract for the compay I work for and copyedit for who seems to be completely devoid of any sensibility when it comes to researching and writing a travel article. Mind you, the stuff we are looking for is basic. But, it should be concise, interesting and decently written.

Now, I've learned a few things:

First, as chapped over this supposedly "freelance" writer's performance as I have been I intend to realize that everyone has weaknesses.

That's being gracious, though. I still do not think a true writer shoud be marketing themselves with poor abilities. But this is just it.....

Are there enough good writers out there to write content for all the websites that need to be populated with the stuff?

I propose, No.

And for the writers who "think they can" like Little Toot of childhood, are they under that delusion based on the poor example of others?

I recently ranted over this particular writer's shortcomings one evening and a friend responded with, "I want facts when I search for something online. I'm not expecting a really fantastic read, Jen." omigod.

Good point. I've thought this over and I agree.

Which really means we just don't care. And I've posted on this topic before, the lack of respect for seeking good writing and good writers. Unfortunately, perhaps the lack of this precious resource is the number one inspiration for any kind of search engine opitimization. When you don't have the real stuff that makes something sought after, like intriguing information, you resort to.....well, other things to drive traffic, but I still would argue a lack of conversion.

And this is precisely why there are so many SEO experts who subscribe to acquiring good content, first.